Man, I heard this line on the Kanye West's So Appalled (feat. JAY-Z, Pusha T, Prynce Cy Hi, Swizz Beatz & The RZA).. Song a little dated in this age of songs having about 2 days of lyf, but I had to bring it back.. Got a lil more insight into that guy.. Let's roll tho..
Seems like mad hate/shots been thrown at J lately especially with the release of Watch the Throne competing with the Carter IV as well as the addition of Weezy shot at Jay-Z.. People know this line is from the Dark Knight flick, that's obvious, but the spin J put on it was dope.. Basically saying he's torn between whether or not he should seriously retire (die and be a hero) or keep doing music (live long enough to see yourself become a villian)..
Seems like in order to be seen as the greatest/best/Hero/Legend you have to die or have a shorter career.. Seeing how Pac and Biggie are seen has Legends in the rap game with their early death.. Don't get it twisted they are for sure the two best to ever do it, but Jay is up there as well, as much as people hate to admit it, you gotta respect the fact that dude been doing this in the rap game for this long.. Not to mention his work outside rap with clothing, label, clubs etc.. But he's saying if I retire I'm gon be acknowledged as a Hero, or Legend..
On the flipside tho, the reality of the situation is that he aint retired.. So just like in the movie, the Dark Knight is seen as the villain at the end of the flick as J is saying that he will become cuz he's still rapping.. There's plenty of shots taken at dudes age.. I just got his whole catalog last night, and judging off the first half of Reasonable Doubt vs Watch the Throne tunes, all I see is growth, a grip of growth.. He's a good rapper, period.. I mean, why would you stop if you getting better and making more money?.. But, he's seen as a villain in that he's going to get hated on by more and more people the longer he stays in the game..
Now, I aint like a sponsor of Jay-Z or nothing, I'm just throwing out my opinion of what I get from this line.. That's what makes a good rapper to me, someone who can drop one or two bars, that can lead on to a full discussion..
Just a quick little run.. Tumblr rockin now, follow up at dnorrisii.tumblr.com.. Will return the favor..
Track I'm Spinning Back: Josh Lehman, Daniel de Bourg and Jeremy Passion - Trust Issues (Cover).. Smooth cut right there man.. Straight up..
Have a Blessed off day folks.. Til then, it's always..
Peace, Love & Soul..
1..
-D.No.
No comments:
Post a Comment